Buildings and Grounds Staff
Renbrook School (West Hartford, CT), an independent day school for children ages three to grade eight, currently seeks an experienced and enthusiastic Buildings and Grounds Staff member to join the Buildings & Grounds Department. The Buildings and Grounds Department maintains the school’s buildings, grounds, and its mechanical and electrical systems and equipment. This department provides timely and efficient services to ensure the school’s facilities and grounds operate in a safe and secure environment.
Under supervision of the Director of Facilities, this individual performs a variety of work in the general maintenance and repair of buildings, facilities, equipment, and grounds including the areas of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, building repairs, and maintenance of all outside grounds and fields.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Campus wide general maintenance – including but not limited to:
- Perform mowing, landscaping, turf maintenance, and all grounds related tasks
- Minor repair and maintenance of all campus buildings and fixtures
- Perform general preventive maintenance on equipment, machines, and vehicles
- General maintenance and cleaning of the maintenance garage and shop
- General moves for classroom/office changes as needed
- Snow removal including plowing, snow blowing, and shoveling
- Prepare for school activities and events, following instructions for set up and clean up
- Understand and follow all emergency procedures for fire and emergency situations and keep current with all emergency procedures employed by the School
- Abide by all standards for safety and health and environmental guidelines, environmental regulations and established policies and procedures
- Communicate effectively with all members of the school community
- Support other school departments to successively meet deadlines and support the community and the School’s Mission
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities
- Model integrity, responsibility, and respect for all persons
- Must have a valid drivers’ license
- At least 2 years’ experience in building and grounds operations
- Familiarity with computers and software
- Knowledge of O.S.H.A. requirements and the ability to consistently follow those guidelines and requirements
- Experience reading chemical labels and material safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Experience with operating different types of lawn maintenance equipment
- Knowledge of fire and security panels, smoke detectors, security hardware and electronic security systems
- High school diploma required; college degree preferred
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Ability to work effectively in the absence of supervision
- Must be available for work during snowstorms and other potential weather-related incidences
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all other school employees
- Tasks involve the ability to exert physical effort in heavy work, including climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials weighing 20-50 pounds; may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials.
- Ability to operate vehicles and machines
The review of candidates will begin immediately with an anticipated start date of September 2023.
All applications must be provided via e-mail. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references included together in one PDF document, to email@example.com with “Buildings and Grounds” in the subject line.
Renbrook School is an affirmative action – equal opportunity employer; and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, ancestry, present or past history of mental disability, intellectual disability, learning disability or physical disability, including but not limited to blindness, veteran status, sexual orientation, and other protected classes.
Renbrook School will make reasonable accommodations for known disabilities of a qualified applicant or employee, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on its operation.