Renbrook School (West Hartford, CT), an independent day school for children age three to grade eight, currently seeks an experienced professional to fill the position of Controller. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all financial accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and employee benefits administration.
This hands-on position supervising a staff of two is responsible for overseeing the day to day Business Office activities, which include:
- Manage/oversee the day to day responsibility for all financial accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, hiring processes and employee benefits administration; serve as back-up for these functions, when necessary
- Maintain current working knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP); ensure appropriate financial policies and internal controls are implemented and followed; maintain knowledge of employment laws applicable to workers in Connecticut
- On a monthly basis, reconcile all cash, checking, and investment accounts; review and reconcile general ledger accounts; prepare journal entries as necessary
- Lead and coordinate internal annual financial statement audit and 403(b) plan audit process; prepare work papers, analyses and reconciliation documents and schedules for annual audit
- Prepare/submit documents for completion of IRS Form 990, Forms 5500, 1094-C and 1095-C Forms
- Prepare financial statements and analyses and prepare and distribute monthly departmental budget reports
- Collaborate with the Development Office staff to reconcile fund designation for cash receipts and pledges; manage endowed funds; provide stewardship reports upon request
- Collaborate with departments to establish effective/efficient processes for financial management and oversight
- Participate in Finance Committee and Investment Committee meetings and others as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or related discipline is required, CPA preferred
- Five or more years of experience in accounting and financial management, preferably in an educational institution or other non-profit organization
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, practical experience with accounting software, Blackbaud preferred; willingness to adapt to and implement new/efficient work processes and applications
- Experience with human resource and payroll systems, ADP/Workforce Now preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong ethics and the ability to handle confidential information
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational, analytical and planning skills
- Must work independently and collaboratively in a small, fast-paced office environment; ability to manage multiple competing priorities
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three letters of reference included together in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Controller” in the subject line.
Renbrook School is an affirmative action - equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, ancestry, present or past history of mental disability, intellectual disability, learning disability or physical disability, including but not limited to blindness, veteran status, sexual orientation, and other protected classes.