Food Allergy Initiatives
Renbrook has a number of food-allergy initiatives addressing the specific needs of students, families, faculty and staff.
Nut and Peanut-Free School
Renbrook strives to be a nut- and peanut-free school. Food items brought to school for any reason must be free of nuts and/or peanuts in any form.
- Please read all labels and store signage with great care.
- Look for wording such as "may contain” or "made on the same machines or premises with."
- Such products pose a threat due to cross-contamination and should not be brought to school.
We have students and employees with life-threatening allergies. We cannot risk having anyone go into rooms
where there are – or have been – food items containing nuts or peanuts in any form.
In order to ensure the safety and well being of all our students, including those with food allergies, we have
made some changes to our policy on snacks and birthday treats.
In all divisions of the school we will take note of student birthdays without parent-provided birthday snacks or goody-bag items.
In Beginning School students will continue to bring their own lunches. Daily snacks will be provided by the
school; we will not have parent-provided special snacks in Beginning School classrooms.
In the Lower School food for special events will be provided by the school.
As children reach Upper School they are able to take more responsibility for what they eat. Bagel Day will still exist with parents bringing in bagels and school providing bagels for those with special dietary needs. From time to time there may be a bake sale for US students only.
Handwashing Allergens Away
At Renbrook School, in addition to encouraging hand-washing as an important way to avoid the spreading of germs, we aim to minimize the risks of food allergens being transmitted through our community each day.
- Pre-moistened, medically approved "Soft Cloths" are located conveniently throughout the school and are used at critical points throughout the day.
- Purell dispensers are located in the Servery, with additional supplies in classroom and offices.